Dec 15, 2008

Let me get this straight...


I've just finished this book called The Obvious : Everything you need to know to succeed by James Dale.  And am now reading this book called Predictably Irrational.

Yes, two more non-fictions that I've just shelled out much moolah for.

The first book had this chapter on biz-speak, which is essentially (and I might be understanding it incorrectly) that we should just cut the crap and talk straight.  Forget about all those mumbo-jumbo jargons that serves only to impress, manipulate and confuse.


The thing is, I absolutely think James Dale is right.  But I'm in the ad agency, I'm suppose to do 'weaseling'.

I've only gotten pass the first chapter of the other book and I'm already taken by it.  He cited an example of how price decoys are planted so that consumers/customers can be persuaded to purchase in a certain fashion.

All this while I thought that advertising is the only form guilty of manipulating large numbers of people.  I was wrong. It's not the only way of manipulation.

Now, I know that you can do that with pricing.  One way is as how Dan Ariely described the price decoy in his book and another, is by having prices that end with 99 (to make it look like it's cheap).

Another is through product development.  Create a premium version and a sub-premium version. While the masses go for the cheaper L'Oreal makeup, the rich big wigs will go for Lancome. Or go for the cheaper Compaq and if you have a bit more money, get the HP Presarios.

Geez, how naive I am.  And I'm a sucker the same as everybody else.

0 comments:

Post a Comment