Aug 19, 2010

EDM - Best Practice?

For those not in the know, EDM is an abbreviation for electronic direct mail. It's one of the tools of the trade for marketers who want to spread their sales pitch en masse, electronically.

But we consumers either appreciate them because of its timely and useful information or hate them coz' they clog up our mailboxes.

Here's the funny thing.  I'm in the communication business. So therefore, there's a particular formula or rule of thumb for some of the communication things that I do. EDM is not excluded.


Industry practice states that the best day to blast those blasted EDMs are either on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.

Well, it was Wednesday yesterday, and my mailbox was filled with EDMs from various places I've subscribed to and the sheer number of them was overwhelming me.

So, I delete without reading them.  And who's to say that others don't do the same?

Everyone worth their marketing salt, is following this so-called "industry practice" blindly.

So, what day then is perfect, you might ask?  I think it's different for different people.

You know what would be great?  If, for example, I've been doing online research on augmented reality, let's say.  And suddenly all those digital marketing e-newsletters I've subscribed to, fill up my mailbox with info/mail on.......augmented reality.  It's like, they just know.

Now, that would be useful and timely.

Others may disagree coz' it smacks of "Big Brother".

Well, that's the beauty of the internet.  To each, his own.

0 comments:

Post a Comment