Jan 7, 2010

Gen BuY: How Tweens, Teens and Twenty-Somethings Are Revolutionizing Retail - A Review


Gen BuY: How Tweens, Teens and Twenty-Somethings Are Revolutionizing Retail
I'm not a Gen Yer unfortunately. By definition, I was born 4 years too early. And it seems, 4 years is a wider gap than I thought.
Illuminating is how I judge this book as it describes the American Gen Yers so clearly. I must admit that the American Gen Yers are far more sophisticated than other Gen Yers across the globe. I mean, how can a flashlight be an essential item for prom?.....sigh, only in America.
The authors described how retailers are bending over backwards to cater to this group. One example, the Urban Outfitters and their snazzy outlets. The problem that I have with this is that, I think it's all very gimmicky and can easily be copied by their competitors. Therefore, it will no longer be a point of difference. So, then what?

As someone in the 'persuasion' business, I have often wondered why brands are jumping on to the Social Marketing/Web 2.0 bandwagon without truly understanding how it is being used. I've always believed that if you're gonna do something, then do it right and for the right reasons.
But the writers said something that has changed my mind. Either do it (even though it might not be 100% precise) or risk being irrelevant. With this crowd and their speed-of-light wants and habits, it's now an imperative.

0 comments:

Post a Comment