Jan 6, 2010

The Online Advertising Playbook: Proven Strategies and Tested Tactics from the Advertising Research Foundation - A Review


The Online Advertising Playbook: Proven Strategies and Tested Tactics from the Advertising Research Foundation
It's like what the title says. This is a playbook.

Found a lot of useful case studies and nice tips. But what I found disturbing is that the strategies and tactics are too reminiscent of traditional advertising. It talks quite a bit about what size it should be, what should be said, how often it should appear.
Having said that, this book is very useful when dealing with the here and now. But it won't be useful for long as online advertising morphs further to include Web 2.0 elements. And that should be in a couple of years. This book was written in 2007. The authors should think about revised editions or follow-ups.

The last chapter on Futures was sketchy. I wanted a more solid description of what online advertising will be like. But the future is hard to predict.
I wouldn't want ads to start addressing me by name everywhere I go, though....that'll be too much of a "Big Brother" moment for me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment